Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Book Signing


You Grow Girl author- Gayla Trail will be in town this weekend.
Saturday she will be at Clackamas Community College for a Vegetable Gardening Symposium from 8am-4pm and then on Sunday Feb. 12, 2006
Book Signing & Seed-Starting Workshop
3:30-5pm
PISTILS Nursery
3811 N. Mississippi Ave. Portland, Oregon. (503) 288-4889
Learn the ins and outs of starting veggies and flowers from seed. Thrifty hints and tips for beginners, apartment dwellers and small space gardeners. I'll be signing books and answering gardening questions.
Admission is FREE!

The newsletter came today and I was able to download the seed starting plan--- basically you figure out the Date of the last frost and with a little addition and subtraction you can figure out the best time to start plants indoors and direct planting outside.
You should be thinking Peas... They are the first thing to go in the ground. No need to start them inside- they like a bit of cold so no worries if February gets cold. The key is to have them in the ground by Presidents day- which this year is 2/20- If you are concerned you can start them inside- place the seeds between wet paper towels and when the root emerges go ahead and plant them outside. Easy Easy- Sweet peas are a nice addition to your garden- not edible though they do provide a sweet smell.

My Burpee catalogue finally arrived yesterday. I ended my night taking a quick glance through it. Lots of fun stuff... I was able to spend a bit more time this morning with it while riding the bus to work. I will save my list of favorites for next time. I am going to catch a bit of the Grammy's.

Before I go- Our local paper did a bit on the Knitting Olympics- It was nice to see it- I read this weekend that there are more knitters involved than there are athletes in the Winter Olympics- you can send your photos into the paper and the top 3 will receive a gift certificate to a local yarn store. I need to correct myself- I thought the starting ceremonies were on Tuesday but actually it's Friday--- Think Gold.

No comments: