Sunday, July 16, 2006

Pesto Update

So I didn't use the pesto receipe noted earlier. I went with Betty Crocker's version- which is basically the same just a little less on the pine nuts, cheese and oil. I used my mini prep cuisinart- which I still have thank you Andrea- and it turned out perfect. I whipped up two batches... one I made into a pasta salad with chicken and the other batch is in a jar waiting in the fridge to be turned into something yummy. I was surprised to see a Pesto receipe in the Betty Crocker Cookbook. I cannot imagine my mom or my Grandma making Pesto. I wonder what my Grandpa would think of Pine nuts???

I cannot believe how much I cooked today. It helped getting everything preped this morning. Now we just have to make sure we eat it and it doesn't go to waste.

I forgot to mention I found a huge zuccini on my plant. I shredded it and am going to make some zuccini bread in the next couple of days. One thing bad about summer and all the great fruits and veggies is it's to hot to have the oven on to bake.


While shopping at New Season's today I tried some basil limonade- I wasn't sure if I would like it, but it's so refreshing and good. Here is the receipe

Start with Simple Herb Syrup
2 cups water
2 1/4 C. granulated sugar
1 bunch of fresh herbs- basil, rosemary, thyme

combine all ingredients, bring to a simmer and cook for five minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Strain. Transfer to bottle or jar and refrigerate. Keeps for several months. Makes about 3 cups.
adapted from Food Day July 27th, 2004 (The Oregonian)


They had taken a bottle of Santa Cruz organic Limonade and added some of the syrup and some fresh basil as a garnish. It was so good.

I need my plants to grow some more leaves so I can make this. I have a bunch of rosemary but am not sure if I would like it as much. Rosemary is a bit over powering.

2 comments:

upinthecloudsnat said...

i'll come over... just tell me when, with my brand new bike, hee... hee...

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»