Monday, September 04, 2006

Fall's around the corner!


I cannot wait for Fall. Only 18 days. I am not ready for it to be raining every day but I am ready for the crisp coolness that comes first. Sunny yet cool enough for jeans and a long sleeve tee shirt- Perfect.

We are all moved and I have to say I really miss my yard. My cherry tomatoes were in full swing and the peppers were just starting to really produce. I am going to have to get creative because I will have to do a lot more container gardening. I hope it goes well because I didn't feel the lettuce I grew this spring in a container did that great. Maybe I didn't water it enough- I will have to watch that.
In my new yard I did acquire some plants I am not very good at taking care of- roses. The whole front yard is roses. I pruned them today, cut away all the dead and damaged branches. My arms look like I got in to a fight with a cat and man do they burn. I also uncovered an ant hill and a couple of them got in a few bites before I brushed them off. I planted some spinach seeds and I want to try planting garlic. I need to do a little more research on it but I know it's planted in the fall and then in the spring you have nice fresh garlic.

We have until November 1- before our first frost. If you are wondering about your area check out the Farmer's Almanac Site.

Fall is a great time to plant perennials, shrubs, and turf grass. Check out your perennial garden to see if there is anything that didn't make it through the summer or if there is something new you want to add. Planting new stuff isn't always just for the spring time. It's also time to start thinking about the bulbs you want to plant. Get them in the ground in the next month or so. You might have to water for a bit to get them through the early part of fall and if we experience an Indian summer.

1 comment:

upinthecloudsnat said...

see you soon or on the 23rd... :) wow, you'll be a wife soon. how exciting! i'll have that money i owe you and a gift in hand, hee, hee... say hi to JOSH for me.