Thursday, January 22, 2009

Stamps

I thought it would be fun for Ben to collect stamps. I know he's only 5 months old and too little to collect on his own so he will have to leave it up to me for a bit.

I was a bit obsessive about it and have calmed down a little because there are only so many stamps I can buy at one time.


Mid January they released the second stamp in a series of - Celebrating Lunar New Year!
2008- Year of the Rat
2009- Year of the Ox

I was able to find a sheet of the rat so Ben's collection starts with his birth year and his Chinese sign.


Another stamp I'm excited about is of Michigan...

"On October 2, 2008, in Empire, Michigan, at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, the Postal Service™ issued 42–cent Nature of America: Great Lakes Dunes commemorative stamps in 10 designs. The stamps and souvenir sheet were designed by Ethel Kessler of Bethesda, Maryland."

Being I'm from Michigan I figured this was a had to have for his collection.

Since we are currently living in Oregon I knew he had to have this for his collection...

"On January 14, 2009, in Portland, Oregon, the Postal Service™ will issue a 42–cent, Oregon Statehood stamp, designed by Derry Noyes of Washington, DC."

A Maine (Papa's home state) stamp will be nice. I see they issued a State of Maine stamp in the past. If we can find one it would be perfect.

I am not sure which direction his collection will go.... I figure if I start with some basics when he's ready or if he wants to continue the collection he can go where he wants with it.

1 comment:

natalie el-jourbagy said...

Awwww. Ben a stamp collector. hehe. Am loving it! Keep warm and see you soon! xo ox